26 June, 2007

From Arvika/Sweden to Lillehammer/Norway

13 and 14th of June:
We return the Kanu and the rest of the equipment and have a clean up day. We wash all the equipment, buy food for our next tours and I get bloody oily whilde doing some maintanence for the car. On the 14th we leave Arvika to head to Norway. Not until short before the border do I realize that we are REALLY leaving Sweden now. After Iceland we will be shipped to Danmark and drive home from there. I get a bit sad about that but we had a great year and especially the last two weeks made me remember why I love Sweden. It's kind of a shame that I liked the landscape more than the surrounding of Lund wherever we were driving. Once in Norway I check the petrol prices first. Diesel is currently between 1.2 and 1.3 Euro, Super more expensive of course. Still expensive, but I expected it to be worse. Well, maybe in Iceland then... ;).
We go on to Hamar, one of the three city's that hosted the Olympic Winter Games 1994 together with Lillehammer and Gjovik. It's a nice little town with an especially nice winter stadium that looks like a turned around viking ship.
Only one thing that I haven't written about so far really makes me wonder: There are so many pimp-my-car guys in Sweden and Norway it's unbelievable. After living a year in Lund, I almost tought the Scandinavians are just too smart to spend a whole lot of money to show their own lack of penis-size. But I was totally wrong, Lund seems to be an unreal, lucky island with that many(poor) students and only well educated people. And even more particullary, I am annoyed by the type of car those guys drive. It's not the Austrian VW-Golf kind of guys(@Kaufi; haha!), they mainly own huge American Pick-Ups, Hammers(!) and other cars of that size where you don't get anything more per Liter fuel you waste than in a normal car(even valid for cars in that size!). Considering the fuel prizes in Norway are the highest in whole Europe(together with the UK), I keep wondering how people can afford that lifestyle here.

15th of June:
We go on to Lillehammer, again a small but charming little town. Our main purpose here is to get more informations about our hiking tour in Rondane national park. There is a local office of the Norwegian mountaineering association here where we get all the required information, a topographic map and good advice for our tour. We become members and we buy a good topographic map. The landscape around Lillehammer is quite nice and beautiful, it remembers me of good old Austria(mountains!). We spend the evening planning our tour and finally decided that we will hike We around for probably eight days and we will also celebrate midsummer in one of the huts there. I just hope that will be fun and we will have good weather. They had unbelievable good weather here the last two weeks with sunshin all day long and up to 30°C(!!) but it recently snowed up there. But anyway there should be not too much snow left and I hope we can make it to one of the peaks there that have more than 2000m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home